Tuesday, November 3, 2009

My Busy Summer Vacation

So it seems I'm not the best at updating my blog, but once in a while is OK, no? Here is a blog entry I wrote for the children of my school. Thought it was a good summary of my summer. :-)

--------------

This summer, I did quite a bit of traveling. So much that I don't want to see a plane for a very long time! But what exactly did I do? Here's a basic summary of my international summer vacation. (If you'd like to follow the places I've been, scroll down to the bottom of the page and see the maps.)

First, I left Spain and flew into West Palm Beach, FL. That's where my parents live. I enjoyed swimming in the pool, taking boat trips into the ocean, and eating good American food with the great company of my parents. I was lucky because my aunt from Colombia was also visiting so I had a chance to see her too.

Since I hadn't seen my twin sister in months, I decided to visit her in San Francisco! I've never been there so I was very excited. I did quite a lot of tourism including seeing the Golden Gate Bridge, the impenetrable prison Alcatraz, and visiting Muir Woods with its gorgeous ancient old trees. Also, my sister's boyfriend works for Pixar so I was able to go on an exclusive tour through the studio. How lucky! It was a great trip.

I returned to Florida but soon after, I flew into Washington D.C. to visit my very close friends. Have you ever heard of the saying, 'The more things change, the more they stay the same'? Well, this was definitely the case for me. I hadn't seen my friends in about two years, and though they had changed (new jobs, marriage, some with babies!), they had also stayed the same. When I visited them, it was as if I had never left. What great fun!

Then I flew back to Florida to spend some more time with my parents. However, at one point, I had to return to Europe so I said my good-byes and flew into Milan, Italy (with a quick stop at Madrid). My older sister, who lives in Milan, had two big things happening in her life: She was moving into a new apartment and she was getting married! So I flew over to help her move and organize her wedding. It was a lot of work. However, her apartment looks great and the wedding was AMAZING! The ceremony was held in Stresa, a cute medieval town north of Milan. She also got married in a castle overlooking the lakes. It was a Colombian-Italian-American wedding. We ate great food, Italian style, and at night we danced Colombian style! It was a lot of fun and I'm happy for the new member of my family, my brother-in-law Claudio.

But my sister's wedding was not the only wedding that summer. My cousin from Colombia was getting married... in Germany! This time, however, I didn't fly. Instead, the whole Colombian side of the family rented a van and we drove through Switzerland to a town north of Frankfurt, Germany. It took about 8 hours. My cousin from Colombia was getting married to a German. It was a civil ceremony. They were married inside a tower in a German town filled with old colorful buildings. It was a very memoriable marriage and trip.

However, at one point I had to return to Spain and get back to work. So my family and I drove back to Milan, and then I flew into Madrid. PHEW!!! That's a lot of flying!

So I'm back in Spain, living in Linares and working in Bailén. In general, I had a wonderful summer with a lot of trips and exciting adventures. Though I love traveling, I am glad to be back in Spain where I can rest and take a break from all those plane rides. Till the next trip!


Below are some maps that show the places I've visted this summer:

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Just to let you know that somebody read it ;-)
Gerrit

M Cappiello said...

i read it too!!!! Love the pic of san fran bridge! heheeh!! cracks me up! :D

Penelope said...

meeee 3!