Saturday, July 24, 2010

Friends in High Places

Another story from Almorox at the elementary school where I worked at my first year in Spain.

One of the teachers came into school slightly shaken up. Apparently, he couldn't believe what had just happened to him. He was late for work and, since he didn't want his young students to wait for him, he started to speed. He looked at his rear-view window and what did he see? You guessed it! A cop. So he pulled over.

The cop came over and started asking him questions, carefully looking at him. Then, the officer, seeming to recognize him (though the teacher had never seen him in his life) pulled out a piece of paper. He scrutinized the piece of paper and then looked at him again. Then, he briskly folded up the paper, said, "Have a nice day, teacher", turned around and left.

He couldn't believe it. What exactly just happened?

Well, turns out that my elementary school has connections. And that connection is our Principal. Her father was the head of something or other of the police force and, though he's retired, he is still respected. And since he's respected, his daughter is respected as well. So, every school year, the Principal gives the police a list of all teachers' names and photos of that year so that if they are pulled over, they should not ticket them and let them go.

Do you believe it? Pays off knowing people in high places! Or at least family members in high places. Also, I wonder if this would works after school? It makes sense that the cops wouldn't ticket you when you are speeding TO work. But away? I doubt it!

And, since I'm writing about cops and teachers: One of the teachers told me that if I ever got pulled over, somehow slip in that I am a teachers. The police respect teachers and she said I am guaranteed not to get any type of ticket. Good to know!

No comments: